Pages

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

SHINE

by Shannon Anderson                 (Let me know how you will shine this year in your comments.)

I was reading Steven Pressfield's Writing Wednesdays post called "Panic Is Good" this past week and stumbled upon something Marianne Williamson said that made me think differently about my desire to become a writer. I used to be timid about wanting to call myself a writer, as though I weren't worthy of that moniker. I was "just a teacher" or even worse, I was going to "write a novel someday." I hadn't realized limiting myself that way was negative. Only thinking about my aspirations implied I wasn't capable of writing or that I might not be committed to becoming the writer I'd always dreamed I would be. I realized I needed to take action to lend my dreams validity. I realized I am worthy of my dream, and my dream is worthy of the work it will take to bring it to fruition. When I read her words, I was inspired to have more faith in myself. Her words are below:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. we were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated form our won fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

I found her words at just the right moment. I stand at a crossroads in my own life. With only seven months left in my one-year teaching contract, I must now blaze my own trail. I want the life I've always dreamed of, but don't know if I can claim, that of being a published author. I struggle each day to find the time to write because something else always needs doing. What I have decided, however, is that my dream is worth my time. I have decided I will write everyday, no matter what, even after I finish my novel. I have a finite number of days to call my own in this life, and I owe myself the time to let my light shine, to make my dream manifest, to liberate myself from the fear of failing. I won't fail. I will shine. And I ask you to shine with me, to set aside your fear, your insecurity about your own dreams, whatever they are, and to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous with me. Let's make this year our year. Let's let our lights shine to illuminate the path before us. If you write, write with me, everyday. If you paint, paint. If you compose music, compose. Whatever your gift make it manifest in the world. Everyday.

SHINE!

No comments:

Post a Comment